Technical Assistance to the Government of Malawi for Strengthening Internal Controls and Procedures in Public Financial Management
The global objective of this project is to contribute to the implementation of the Public Financial and Economic Reform Programme in Malawi and, therefore, improve the effectiveness in service delivery to Malawian citizens and enhance the integrity and effectiveness of the internal controls In the Accountant General's Department (AGD).
The specific objectives of this assignment are:
• Conducting an interim staffing and management review in the accounting service
- Provision of specific recommendations for immediate changes to help management take appropriate actions to augment staffing, redefine responsibilities and reporting relationships in areas where they are needed and strengthen segregation of duties and controls
• Developing and implementing a revised guidance and procedures to address financial control weaknesses
- Review and follow up on the recommendations made from the Business Process Review (BPR) recently completed by the AGD and determine whether the Government has implemented them or not
- Development of an action plan on the recommendations which have not been implemented
- Revalidation of the weaknesses and development of new procedures
• Providing technical assistance and advice to strengthen and operationalize the commitment control module in IFMIS to ensure that Treasury funding system is properly linked with commitments from line ministries and departments
- Review and identification of any remaining weaknesses specifically in terms of commitment control module and enhancement of its daily operations
- Development of system changes and provide guidance on how to strengthen related procedures and practices
- Implementation an effective commitment control process, along with ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs), in order to ensure that all expenditure is within approved limits and is used for the intended purposes
• Designing and implementing verification monitoring reports alongside designated senior Government officers
- To support the AG team in carrying out period closing monitoring reports (daily, monthly and yearly). Monitoring reports include cheques, commitments, GL, payments, receipts and cash management.
- To ensure that all the monitoring reports are generated and used for monitoring purposes
- To highlight any exceptions and risk areas to the relevant authorities, document them in their reports and work closely with the oversight team to mitigate the risks.